The Museum of Wu is located inside the Tantai Lake Scenic Area, and on the south side of the Grand Canal (a World Heritage Site) and the Baodai Bridge (a national key protected cultural relic unit). The Museum has a floor space of more than 18,000 square meters.
The Museum is committed to building a high-level and distinctive regional cultural complex, and aims to create a leading platform for the exhibition, research, and learning of Wu culture. The Museum takes cultural Wuzhong District, beautiful Taihu Lake, and poetic Jiangnan area as the guidelines to organize its exhibitions, education, public service, etc.
In addition to the permanent and temporary exhibition halls, the Museum also has public spaces such as Education Center, Lecture Hall, Function Room, Shop, Cafe, etc. The overall arrangement aims to fulfill the functions of education and public service required for modern museums.
The first floor of the Museum is mainly used for temporary exhibitions, education and public service, and the second floor is chiefly for permanent exhibitions. The two temporary exhibition halls on the first floor focus on the special exhibitions of Wu Land culture and Jiangnan culture as well as other fine exhibitions from both home and abroad. The second floor displays permanent thematic exhibitions, including “Archaeological Surveys of Wuzhong” and “Ballads, Hymns, and Eulogies of Wuzhong”. Such exhibitions give fairly comprehensive academic explanations of Wu culture and Wu Land culture.
Aiming at becoming a cultural complex, the Museum of Wu not only houses antiquities and exhibits culture and art, but also serves as a space for public learning and communication by combining exhibition, education, cultural experience, and cultural consumption.
About Our Logo:
The logo is designed in the shape of the Chinese character “吴”, consisting of a cornice, a roof and a bridge. It comprises upper, middle and lower parts, which embodies the harmonious coexistence of heaven, earth and people. The warped cornice, antique roof, and bridge with Wu cultural features connect the past and present of Wu Land, show the shape of the Museum, and reflect the long history of Wu Land. In this way, it represents the appearance and historic mission of the Museum of Wu.
The Museum of Wu, also known as Wuzhong Museum, is a subordinate institution of the Culture, Sports and Tourism Bureau of Wuzhong District, Suzhou City. The main responsibilities and departments of the Museum are as follows:
1. Main Responsibilities:
(1) Disseminating Wu Culture, enhancing cultural exchange, and promoting the overall protection and inheritance of Wu Culture of Suzhou in this region.
(2) Using the collection of the Museum to hold thematic exhibitions of Wu Culture, collecting and sorting literature, and capitalizing IT and digital equipment to build the Museum.
(3) Promoting and implementing the Law of the People's Republic of China on the Protection of Cultural Relics, the Regulations on Museums and relevant laws and regulations, and enhancing the consciousness of protecting cultural relics in the whole society.
(4) Collecting, preserving, conserving and exhibiting movable cultural relics with historical, artistic and scientific values, enriching museum collections, and improving the connotation of collections.
(5) Managing, protecting, sorting and researching cultural relics of the Museum, and taking effective measures to ensure the safety of cultural relics.
(6) Holding exhibitions of cultural relics, giving full play to the role of city cultural living room, disseminating knowledge of humanities, history and natural sciences, conducting moral education and patriotism education, and guiding the people to improve their cultural consciousness and confidence in culture to promote socio-economic development.
(7) Exhibiting and performing intangible cultural heritage projects, and promoting, protecting and inheriting local traditional culture.
(8) Completing other tasks assigned by Wuzhong District Party Committee, Wuzhong District People's Government and senior competent authorities.
According to the main responsibilities of the Museum, there are 4 departments.
The Office is responsible for daily administration management, human resources, labor and capital, professional titles, archives, financial audit, budget and final accounts, logistics support, comprehensive documents, annual assessment, office supplies procurement, fixed assets management, and overall coordination of various affairs of the Museum. The Office is also responsible for reviewing and implementing the work plans, rules and regulations of the Museum, enhancing the development of staff, and promoting the building of the Museum according to the actual development.
(2) Exhibition Department
The Exhibition Department is responsible for organizing exhibitions, planning and adjusting permanent exhibitions, special exhibitions, and temporary exhibitions, updating exhibitions and commentaries; cultural exchanges and borrowing objects; and designing cultural and creative works of art, and operating and managing the shop of cultural and creative works.
(3) Conservation Department
The Conservation Department is responsible for preserving and conserving the Museum’s collections; managing the storeroom, archives, books, and materials of objects; collecting, restoring, and researching objects; receiving the appreciation of objects; assisting in the organization of exhibitions; and cooperating with senior authorities to conduct field archaeological excavations in Wuzhong.
(4) Department of Publicity and Education
The Department of Publicity and Education is responsible for managing the public spaces of the Museum; receiving visitors, providing guide and consultation services, and dealing with complaints; managing the Information and docents; opening and managing the Education Center; planning and organizing social education activities; recruiting, training and managing volunteers; managing security affairs, the machine room and facilities; fire prevention; building and maintaining the website of the Museum; maintaining engineering facilities; operating and maintaining the information system of the Museum; publicizing the Museum (traditional media and new media); and assisting in the operation and management of Suzhou Intangible Cultural Heritage Museum in the Garden Expo Park.